Ok I am starting. I am diving into fall recipes. I thought what better way to start than with some pumpkin spice cupcakes, right? With creamy maple ”cream cheese” frosting? Yesterday I said I was craving all things fall, and these cupcakes sure hit the spot. Also, since I said I would try to hit them in a healthier way, I cut out refined sugars, cut the fat, and of course made them vegan. So not only are these fluffy, spicy, moist cupcakes absolutely delicious, they aren’t completely sinful (they only taste that way)!
So did I sell you yet? You really should make these, like today, or tonight. Promise you won’t regret it
Spiced Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting – Vegan
Dry ingredients – mix in a medium bowl:
- 2 cups whole wheat, unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup raw, organic brown sugar (or brown coconut sugar or Sucanat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp all spice
Liquid ingredients – mix in another medium bowl:
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water) – Mix the flax eggs first and set aside. Need about 5 minutes to “gel” before mixing with other ingredients
- 1/2 cup melted vegan “butter” – I use Earth Balance soy free
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 can organic pumpkin pie mix*
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease mini muffin tin.
- After combining liquid ingredients, add the dry ingredients to the liquid bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into cupcake tin. Bake for about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (about 25 +/- if using regular tin).
Maple “Cream Cheese” Frosting:
- 1 cup “powdered” sugar (see process below)
- 1 8 oz container of tofutti
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Generous dash of cinnamon
- For powdered sugar, without using a super processed, bleached, typical powdered sugar, you can easily make your own healthier version. Simply take a cup of raw, unprocessed, organic sugar (or Sucanat) and 1 tsp cornstarch. Process in a Vitamix (super fast) or regular blender. Should take under a minute. Pulse until you get the consistency you want. How easy is that?
- Now combine all the frosting ingredients in a bowl with a hand mixer.
- When cupcakes have cooled, using a knife or piping bag, frost up and enjoy!
I absolutely love pumpkin spice! What are some of your favorite fall treats?