I’ve been making my own deodorant for quite some time now. After readying article after article on why most store bought deodorants are dangerous, I realized I needed to make a switch. The problem is that most of the “natural” deodorants just don’t cut it for me. Something is always off. And the crystal thing, yeah, I don’t get that one at all.
The homemade deodorant thing was going great. I rarely smelled bad, never had pit discoloration on my shirts, and instead of the way most deodorants block sweat (which is BAD for you) the homemade stuff allowed my body to sweat. That is a very important. Our bodies use our pores, especially under arm pores, to excrete toxins. When you block that outlet, your body just continues to house the toxins.
Then it happened. My homemade deodorant turned against me. I developed a rash that was not only gross to look at, but also extremely uncomfortable, itchy, and sometimes painful. After LOTS of reading around, I figured out that some people become too alkalized with the baking soda. Long story short, I either had to go back to the dangerous stuff or skip it all together, although the last option probably wasn’t going to fly.
Here’s my new recipe and I love it. I actually like no baking soda. It’s a lot creamier. Give it a shot and let me know how it works for you!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp food grade diatomaceous earth
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tbp shea butter
- 15-20 drops essential oil - i recommend a few different kinds*
- Optional 1 tbsp beeswax ( I did not do this )
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a mason jar.
- Place jar in a pot with about 2 - 3 inches of boiling water. Make sure to use oven mitts, the glass with get hot!
- Once everything is melted and combined, remove from heat and stir in oil.
- Let cool for just a few minutes.
- Pour into small jar. I like to place mine in the fridge to solidify.
- Apply scooping about a tsp out fingers and rubbing straight on your pit!