Most times I enjoy everything that goes into cooking; spending time brainstorming, creating, and then preparing recipes. However, there is something to a simple recipe. A recipe that involves minimal prep work followed by one step of baking, roasting, simmering, etc. This is one of those recipes.
Open Faced Pepper and Onion Sandwich
- 6 assorted bell peppers – cut into 1/4 – 1/2 inch strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper
- fresh bread of choice – I used ciabatta
- Local, organic goat cheese *
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium heat. Saute onion for about 7 minutes, until slightly translucent. Toss in bell peppers. Coat in oil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 10 minutes. Add in vinegar and spices. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Lightly brush bread slices with olive oil and toast. Spread fresh cheese on bread and top with peppers and onion. Top with fresh arugula and some pepper. Serve and enjoy!