Some of my most special memories of childhood are family trips to the beach house in Baja, Mexico. Part of the fun was that it was never just our family. There was another family and it seemed that almost every kid (there were 7 between the families) would also bring a friend. So for several days several times a year, we would post up on a secluded beach 30 miles south of Rosarito. We would spend sun up to sun down soaking up the sun, building castles, learning and some (the boys) mastering to surf, fishing, getting caught in tide pools, late night fireworks; I could go on forever about this special place, but that would bore you.
There were many activities that were must do’s on every trip; one in particular was stopping at a taco stand near our beach. I’m pretty sure we would wipe out their fish taco supply for the day every visit. There was just something so comforting about a delicious beer battered fish taco after exhausting ourselves in the water and on the beach for hours.
I try to avoid fish now. I find it harder and harder to find fresh, wild fish to buy. Even with that I worry about the pollution and what-not going on in the water. With that said, I still love a good fish taco and crave the ones from my childhood vacations. I decided to give it a go with tofu thinking with the right seasonings and batter the tofu could really take on the taste and texture of a fish taco. While these tacos aren’t completely the same (and I am very biased), I think they came pretty darn close.
Beer battered “fish” tacos:
- 10 oz extra firm non GMO Tofu
- 1 bottle pale ale beer
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- oil for frying
- Fresh corn tortillas
- Toppings of choice – shredded cabbage, guacamole, avocado sauce, pico de gallo…
- Cut tofu into roughly 1 1/2 inch strips. Place in deep dish and cover with beer. Cover and soak for at least an hour.
- While Tofu is soaking, mix all dry ingredients. Set aside, have a beer, walk the dog, relax, maybe make some guacamole to top these delicious tacos.
- Heat oil in pan on medium to high. Take beer soaked tofu strips, coat in flour mixture, and fry for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Assemble tacos to your liking, maybe 2 strips in a fresh, warm tortilla, topped with shredded cabbage, guacamole, and some hot sauce!
*I took shredded cabbage and let it sit with some lemon, olive oil, and salt & pepper for about 15 minutes before topping tacos.