One of the fun parts of cooking vegan, vegetarian, or just healthier meals is the challenge of transforming classic meals. It’s a lot of trial and error, but nailing a new recipe makes it worth it, at least to me. I’m a total nerd that way though
Anyway, spaghetti and meatballs. Pretty standard right? Totally, but the trick here was to make a meatless version, and to not use and of that fake soy meat CRAPola. As I have mentioned before, I really try to limit imitation foods and soy. Soybeans often times contain A LOT of GMO’s and the fake meats, cheeses, etc, are often times heavily soy and or processed —> no bueno!!!
K enough with that rant, onto the Meatless meatball, actually more like beanballs?
You will need:
- 1 can (15oz) organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 flax egg – 1 tablespoon ground flax +2 tablespoons warm water, set aside for a few minutes to gel
- 1/2 medium onion – chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste – mix with a little water to thin before adding to mixture
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- a large handful of parsley – chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Enough of your favorite red pasta sauce to cover and serve with pasta, i used about 2 cups
Now for the easy part…
- Pre-heat over to 350.
- In a food processor, pulse beans a few times. You want them chopped, but not pureed. Keep it choppy.
- In a large bowl, transfer beans and mix in tomato paste. After combined, toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
- Roll mixture out into balls, place on baking sheet, then toss them in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat sauce. Place meatballs in sauce. Spoon sauce over meatballs, make sure to coat them all.
- When meatballs are all coated and sauce is heated, top the meatless balls over some pasta and Enjoy!!