I had every intention of diving head first into fall with all posts relating to this wonderful season. Let’s face it though, by the end, I am alright parting with spices, pumpkins, squashes, and happy to greet a change of season. It’s also still total summer weather which makes it no problem what-so-ever to keep mixing in summer produce. I’m coming up on the end of my heirloom tomatoes, and since I would never want to waste something so yummy, I threw a few on a tart. Boom, a yummy, cheesy (vegan), tomato tart was born 😉
Tomato and Cheese Tart – Vegan
You will need:
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet (thawed according to directions)
- About 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced and sprinkled with salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella – Daiya
- Nutritional yeast for sprinkling
- Handful of fresh basil
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Mix oil and garlic. Brush puff pastry with enough oil to cover.
- Sprinkle mozzarella “cheese”, top with tomatoes, leaving a small crust around the sides.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast, basil, and a little pepper over tomatoes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, remove, cool slightly.
- Serve & enjoy!