Alright, so I am dying to do a fall post. Pumpkin, apple, spices…something fall. However, aside from all the kids back in school and football taking over my life (thanks to Erik) there are NO obvious sign of fall. It’s in the 90’s, pushing 100, and has been for weeks. Souther California is in a heat wave, and no one seems to think it will let up any time soon. Oy! Seems funny to get into my fall recipes, soooo I’m sticking to some summer produce recipes. Enter zucchini squash fritters:
These little fritters were super easy to make and turned out wonderfully. I enjoyed them over some greens for a meal, but could be served as a light starter too!
Zucchini Corn Fritters – Vegan
You will need:
- 1 cup organic corn
- 2 cups shredded zucchini – after water is really squeezed out, comes to about 1 cup
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 flax egg – 1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 heaping handful of cilantro – chopped, about 1/4 cup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- generous dash of salt & pepper
To make the fritters:
- Mix the flaxseed and water, set aside
- In a dish towel, squeeze excess water from zucchini. Make sure to get as much water out as possible
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients
- Mold into little patties, should make about 6.
- Cook in oiled pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve and enjoy!! I topped mine with some vegan garlic aioli dressing. Fresh avocado or pico de gallo salsa might be good too 😉