I have been on somewhat of a mission to make a delicious veggie burger for some time now. While I do love my black bean burger, I needed something with more kick last night. I used more breadcrumbs, which made them more durable, and completely changed the spices, creating just the kick and flavor I was looking to get. Topped with some fresh avocado, lettuce, and tomato, oh my!! Even the boy said he would rather eat these than a meat burger!!
Spicy Veggie Burger
You will need:
- 2 flax eggs – 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with 1/2 cup warm water – set aside to gel
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 can (15oz) organic black beans, drained, rinsed, and almost all mashed
- 1 cup organic corn
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Whatever toppings to go on top!
To make the Veggie Burgers:
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Mix the ground flax and warm water. Set aside
- On medium heat, saute onions and garlic for several minutes
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, adding a little olive oil to help combine
- If you have time, refrigerate for a half hour (not necessary though)
- Form into patties (I got 7 from this batch) and set on greased baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove and flip. Bake for another 15-18 minutes.
- Prepare burger anyway you like, serve, and enjoy!
*The patties are pretty sturdy and could be grilled on a BBQ. You could also cook them on the stove using medium heat and cook for about 7 minutes on both sides.