Helloooooo Friday, Friday the 13th!!! It’s uncharacteristically gloomy and stormy here is Southern California. Perfect for this day. All I want to do is curl up and watch some scary movies, which would no doubt keep me up all night (I’m a huge baby). Might have to save that until the sun goes down and I have my dog to protect me. Until then, I’m finishing up some work, organizing, and packing for my week-long trip to the Bay Area. I.CAN’T.WAIT. I’ll be helping on my brother’s farm, doing a little wine tasting in Sonoma/Russian River, and visiting with old friends in San Francisco. Seriously, can’t wait until Monday 🙂
I decided to whip up some treats for my boys at work, and what better than Red Velvet cupcakes for Friday the 13th? These were so easy, only use one bowl, and they are Vegan! Woop!
Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes with “Cream Cheese” Frosting
(Adapted from: The Cake Merchant)
You will need:
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- several drops red food coloring , add until reach desired color
“Cream Cheese” Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted lightly to remove any lumps
- 1 (8-ounce) package vegan cream cheese, at room temperature – I use Tofutti
- 1/2 cup vegan butter – I use Earth Balance unsalted
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- In 2 small bowls, mix ground flax and water in one, and non dairy milk and lemon in the other. Set aside to develop.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. With a hand mixer, blend in coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla, and vinegar on slow for a minute and then high for a few minutes. Blend in red coloring on high.
- Spoon into cupcake tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While baking, prepare frosting. Beat “cream cheese” and “butter” until fluffy. Slowly add sugar and vanilla. Beat for a couple of minutes.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, frost.