Wowzer! It has been busy busy in my hood!! I have hadly even had time to think about posting. A camping trip, wine tasting trip, and too many weeknight plans have been keeping me a little strapped for free time. Things are winding down now, leaving me more time to come up with some fun and yummy posts!
I was looking through Sunset magazine and saw this recipe. Since I’m not one for fried foods, I decided baked avocado fries would be a much better idea. I thought I had done almost everything with avocados…the standard guacamole, plain, salted, hair masks, etc, but these “fries” might be one of my new favorite ways to enjoy one of faaaavorite foods. Rich, creamy, and crunchy…perfection!
All you need is:
- 2 ripe avocados – halved then sliced into wedges
- 1/2 cup flour
- a few pinches of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, or any non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan “butter” – I use Earth Balance
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
As a dip, I made a spicy vegan garlic aioli. It’s super easy, but use anything you like, or enjoy them plain!
For the aioli, you need:
- 3/4 cup vegeniase – I use the soy free version from Follow Your Heart.
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha – Add less or more, depending on how spicy you like it!
1. Mix all the ingredients for spicy aioli dip in bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
2. Preheat oven to 450 F. Grease a wire rack oven baking sheet. If you don’t have a wire rack, foil the baking sheet, grease, and flip slices halfway through baking.
3. In 3 small separate bowls, prepare assembly line for “fries”. In bowl one, mix flour with a few salt and pepper pinches. In bowl two, pour the non-dairy milk. In bowl three, combine bread crumbs, butter, salt, paprika, and pepper.
4. One by one, dip avocado slices in flour, dust off excess. Then dip in milk. Then roll in bread crumbs. Place on baking sheet. Repeat. It will get messy, but it’s fun!! Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Remove, cool for about 5 minutes and serve with yummy dip. Enjoy!