Oh Hello Cupcake,
I have this wonderful friend. Her dad is a beekeeper and his little worker bees produce some amazing honey. Like the wildflower honey. I love it…MMMMM! I know technically vegans don’t eat honey, but I dont mind it. It’s raw and natural straight from the farm, nothing like that little honey bear I so loved from childhood. Do you remember that honey bear from the grocery store? He’s probably still there, I thought he was adorable.
So ya, my sweet, sweet friend brought me AND my honey (hehe) each our OWN jars. So kind of her. It’s even been making its way into some smoothies. This stuff is good! I thought a brown sugar cupcake with PB frosting (adapted from: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/03/brown-sugar-cupcakes-with-peanut-butter-brown-sugar-frosting/)would be the perfect thank you! maybe even drizzled with some of that amazing honey!? I don’t know, I like to get crazy
For the cupcakes, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup loosely packed organic brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil ( I used coconut)
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk ( I used soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk ( I used almond milk here)
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread (melted) I used Earth Balance)
For the Frosting, you will need:
- 6 ounces vegan “cream cheese” you can find a version at most health food stores
- 1/2 organic, creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt buttery spread and put aside to cool.
In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In a larger bowl, whisk brown sugar, oil and 3 tablespoons of non dairy milk until well combined. Add vanilla extract and 3/4 cup of non dairy milk. Mix until combined. Whisk in buttery spread. Lastly, add in flour mixture and whisk until well combined.
Line baking tins cupcake liners. spoon batter 3/4 full. Bake for about 18 minutes, until tops are golden. Test to make sure toothpick comes out clean. Remove and let cool.
While cooling, prepare Peanut Butter Frosting
Beat “cream cheese”, peanut butter, and vanilla until creamy. Slowly add in sugars and mix until well combined. Frost once cupcakes are cooled and ENJOY!!
xo – gigi