I LOVE zucchini! It’s not joke. L-O-V-E. If you have ever lived with me or just been around me long enough, you could have witnessed me eating zucchini maybe twice a day for weeks straight. I use to be pretty basic with it though. Cut into small rounds, tossed with a little salt and olive oil, then baked for several minutes. Recently though, I have been trying to get a little more creative and make them into a more substantial meal.
Meet my Zucchini Patties! I use to make these when I ate dairy, so I had to mess around for a bit before I could get the right mixture for the patties to hold and not be too runny. While they may not look particularly appetizing, I think they are quite tasty. They past the family taste test. No leftovers. And packed full of veggies and fiber via flax! And they were easy to make! Did I sell you yet?
What you’ll need:
- Zucchini, shredded, about 2-3 cups –> I shredded 4 small zucchini…VERY important to wrap in paper towel after shredding to soak up some of the water, soak as much as you can
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup of bread crumbs, i used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs –> if you have some extra slices around, grind in a food processor
- 1/4 cup of unbleached whole wheat flour
- 2 TBSP ground flax-seed
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped –> my patties were spicy so lessen or omit if you don’t like some kick!
- 1/2 cup of “cheese” –> I use Daiya cheddar, next time I will try the mozzarella though
- 1 “egg” –> I mixed 1TBSP oil, 2 TBSP water, 2tbsp baking powder
- Salt & Pepper
*add any other chopped veggies you think you mix well!
Mix all the ingredients well in large bowl. Heat medium or large pan with oil over medium heat. Spoon rounds into pan, about a small pancake size. allow to cook several minutes on each side. Remove from heat and enjoy! I placed our patties over sautéed spinach. Topped over tomato slices or beside a fresh salad would also be a nice way to serve. Makes about 6-9 patties depending on size