Left Berlin and headed to Prague. An easy 3 hour bus ride.
Prague feels straight out of a storybook. Cobblestone streets lined by beautiful buildings and apartments. Romantic churches with touches of goth. Bridges are scattered over the river leading to the castle district. Live music through the old town center. Lively bars and nightlife.
I stayed 3 days and felt that was plenty of time to cover the city. Prepare for lots of walking. It’s the easiest way to get around. Take a boat ride and some point and learn about the bridges, historical floods, and see the city from a different point. Take a walking tour, the history is fascinating. Walk up to the former Stalin monument. What has replaced it is a beer garden (nice after the hike up) skateboarders, a new simple monument, and the best view of Prague. Hang out in the old town. Listen to music and admire the beautiful buildings. Cross the Charles bridge toward the castle, turn left and walk along the water, relax in the park. Get lost walking through all the small streets leading up to the castle. Eat pastries. You can watch them being made all over. The delicious and intoxicating smell covers the city. Eat the traditional food, though not very vegetarian friendly. Eat dinner on the water and and gaze at the beautiful lit castle. Go to a traditional Czech bar and drink with the locals, just don’t expect them to strike up conversation.
- Old town
- St. Vitus Catherdral
- Charles Bridge
- Prague Castle
- Astronomical Clock
- Admire Petrin hill
- The gardens below the castle
- The Metronome
- Letna Park – hike up, watch the skateboards, have a beer, and admire the Metronome which stands where the Stalin monument once stood
- Go on a walking tour – there are many to choose from
- Find a sailor and pay for a boat tour
- Wander around the old town, watch your pockets, and take lots of pics of the amazing buildings.
- Listen to live music in the old town
- Head to the Beer Museum – chat with the bartenders, let them know your taste, enjoy a flight. It’s a nice switch from the traditional beer you get everywhere else
- Walk across the Charles Bridge too many times, at all times of the day. The sites don’t get old
- Wander around the grounds of the Prague Castle. Check out some of the gardens below.
- On the castle side, cruise the small streets. Get lost.
- Wake up early and enjoy looking at sites with no people around. The city seemed sleepy and quiet before 10 am
- Walk along the river around sunset
Eat / Drink:
- Lokal – filled with locals enjoying traditional food and local beer
- Grosseto Marina – go early and have a drink outside on the water. Amazing view of the castle and the best food I had in Prague
- Prague Beer Museum
- Cross Club for a crazy night out
- Kozicka – Traditional underground bar filled with pretty much only locals.
- Hotel Cathedral – The best central location. Beautiful rooms. Very reasonably priced. Attached to a lovely, delicious restaurant